Skip to main content

Transfer to CPTC

Transcript Review Process for Transfer of Credit & College Placement

This page provides information about Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and Support Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education (DSST).

College placement is required to create a program education plan for all associate degrees and some certificate programs at Clover Park Technical College. Multiple measures may be used to determine college placement which include, but are not limited to the Accuplacer Assessment, ACT/SAT Scores, CASAS scores, High School Equivalency Exams, High School Transcripts, Smarter Balanced Assessment, and unofficial college transcripts.

View the Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Cambridge policies here.

Establishing College Placement for Reading, Writing & Math

To be placed into math, English and some program classes, students may have scores set using multiple measures for placement. Visit the Assessment and Testing Center page for full details.

  • Students can provide unofficial college transcripts or one of the following within 2 years of completing: high school transcript, Smarter Balance score report, Accuplacer/placement results from other institution, official Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate scores, SAT, ACT, High School Equivalency (formerly known as GED) or CASAS scores to the Enrollment Services Office or to Outreach & Entry Services.
  • Enrollment Services or Entry Services staff will evaluate the multiple measures provided by the student and subsequently note on the student record the appropriate placement scores for math and/or English.

Transferring Coursework into CPTC

To transfer coursework from another college or institution into Clover Park Technical College it must meet the following conditions:

  • Coursework must be college level and be completed at a regionally or nationally accredited institution and graded a “C” (2.0) or better. Note: requirements may be higher for specific programs. (Example: Practical Nurse program requires “B” (3.0) or higher.)
  • Transfer-in credits cannot be more than 75% of the credits needed for program completion.
  • Contact the previous college or institution you attended and request an Official Transcript be sent to the following address:
    Enrollment Services Clover Park Technical College
    4500 Steilacoom Blvd SW
    Lakewood, WA 98499-4098
  • Official Transcripts being submitted by the student must be sealed by the college or institution.
    • Opened transcripts will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for the transfer of credits.
  • International Transcripts must have a course-by-course evaluation completed by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE) approved translation agency. Please visit or to find a member.

Note: Transfer of credit evaluations may take 2-4 weeks. Once the transfer of credit evaluation is completed, a Transfer-in Report showing courses and credits transferred into Clover Park Technical College will be emailed to your student email account. Please plan ahead.

Transfer to CPTC’s Bachelor of Applied Science in Operations Management (BAS-OPM)

Clover Park Technical College has established transfer agreements with other colleges for our Bachelor of Applied Science in Operations Management (BAS-OPM) degree. Students desiring to transfer to CPTC’s bachelor program are encouraged to contact their college to ensure the best possibility of transfer upon completion of their specific degree.

Everett Community College

Everett Community College (EvCC) is one of the 34 community and technical colleges governed by the Washington State Board of Community and Technical Colleges. EvCC has several locations in Snohomish County with the Aviation Maintenance Technology program located at Snohomish County Airport (Paine Field). EvCC offers a pathway for qualifying Aviation Maintenance graduates (AAS-T) to pursue a Bachelor of Applied Science in Operations Management (BAS-OPM) with Clover Park Technical College. Everett Community College is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). Contact EvCC at for details about transfer.

Veterans Transfer Credit

Credit may be accepted for military experience or education based on guidelines from the American Council on Education as shown on the 


Academic Credit for Prior Learning

Prior learning — sometimes referred to as experiential learning — is the knowledge and skills gained through work and life experience, including both formal and informal education and training.

Students who wish to receive credit for prior learning will complete the Prior Learning Assessment Request Form available from the Enrollment Services Office (Building 17) and pay the following fees for assessment services: $50 evaluation fee and $20 transcription fee for each course for which prior learning credit is requested.

For more information, please contact the Credentials and Student Completion Specialist, by email or phone: or 253-589-6003

Instructors will evaluate the prior experiential learning of a student in relation to the competencies of the program and will award credit for demonstrated learning outcomes that are appropriate to the subject, course or program offered.

All credits awarded for this type of experience will be noted as such on the student’s transcript.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Clover Park Technical College grants credits to students who have earned an appropriate score on the Advanced Placement Tests of the College Board in the subject areas listed on the 



For more information about AP study and testing, please see the AP counselor at your high school or go to and search for Advanced Placement. When you take your test, be sure to indicate that the results should be sent to CPTC.

View the Advanced Placement (AP) policies here.

Cambridge International (CI)

Washington Community and Technical Colleges will grant a undergraduate college credit, including elective credit and, where appropriate, course equivalent credit for scores of E (e) or higher on A and AS level Cambridge International exams.



Additional work will be accomplished for equivalencies for Cambridge International exams by(HL) the start of the Fall 2020 academic term through the Articulation and Transfer Council.

CLEP & DSST Credit

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a way to earn credit for comprehensive knowledge you may have acquired through independent or prior study, cultural pursuits, work or other life experiences. If you successfully pass the CLEP tests you may receive credit for completing certain certificate or degree requirements. Clover Park Technical College (CPTC) accepts the subject tests listed on the 

 when passed with the recommended American Council on Education (ACE) score. Information about CLEP tests and testing sites can be obtained on the College Board website at

DSST (formerly known as DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) is also accepted as a way to earn credit for prior knowledge or experience. The subject must be equivalent to CPTC courses and will be accepted according to the ACE recommendations for passing and credit value. Information about DSST tests and testing sites can be obtained online at

High School Learning Experience / Dual Credit

Credit may be accepted for high school learning experience where formal articulation agreements are in place. Please contact your high school counselor for specific agreements. For more information on dual credit and other options, visit Pierce County Careers Connection.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

International Baccalaureate students who have earned successful IB higher level test scores may request college credit for IB higher level work that is the equivalent of CPTC degree and certificate course requirements, as shown on the Course Equivalency Guide. For more information, please contact the Credentials Evaluator at 253-589-6003 or email

View the International Baccalaureate (IB) policies here.


Transferring from the Art Institute of Seattle? Learn more at

For questions regarding official transfer of credits, contact:
Phone: 253- 589-6003
Fax: 253-589-5852


Helpful Links

CPTC Official Seal

Copyright © 2024 CPTC - All Rights Reserved | Federal School Code: 015984